Sunday, May 14, 2017

Seksikas Devils, Demon Headshots.

Technically not Demons, but Devils this time around - there's a huge difference, trust me, at least as far as I'm concerned. I wanted to try one a little different and throw two head in there, just to see how it would work.I'm really happy with the results.

I went with some complimentary colours, neither one that I've used too often - I think it worked pretty well. I had help this time around doing the body paint, just so we wouldn't all be sitting around all day doing makeup.

Every once in awhile I like to point out that I don't claim to be a professional photographer or professional makeup artist - nor do I really care to be either - I do this for fun, it's a hobby. I approach doing makeup sometimes in a way that's simple. I like bright, dramatic looks, sometimes a little cartoonish too. I have nothing against doing realistic makeup, I sometimes will try it, but for the most part I find this style to be a little more visually interesting.

Also, I like sometimes doing makeup that's just as simple for a total novice to pull off. There's no special techniques or anything with this shoot, other than a little airbrushing around the eyes, it's just a single, flat coat of one colour of body paint - there's no grease makeup involved, the prosthetics aren't sealed, nothing like that. I just prepainted the prosthetics with the same body paints the models were done up with, glued the prosthetics on, then body painted the rest of them, the edges aren't sealed with some special process. It's as simple, quick and dirty of a makeup job as you can get.

I also don't care for doing shoots with 2 people, for so many reasons. Mainly, I like doing things simple - if you hadn't guessed. Just a model, some makeup and a camera is perfect, I know all the angles I need to cover to make it work. Throw in a second model, some actual lighting, and you've just added a whole new pile of things that can go wrong.

With a single model, there's about 5 things I need to keep an eye on, with two models that doubles and adds a few more thing. The worst element is focus combined with depth of field. I like a narrow depth of field, with two people it's a pain in the ass unless you're willing to keep one person out of focus.

With all that in mind, I tried it anyway, using two models I knew could pull this off without any effort, and the results were almost exactly what I was hoping for.

Sunday, April 09, 2017

Quhmax Demon, Demons Headshots

I wanted to to try something a little weirder looking for this shoot, I think I was mostly successful. I also figured I'd do a white Demon this time, in the past I always haven't been all that happy with how the white makeup turned out - I thought I'd figured out and I was pretty much wrong. I'm assuming, at this point, there's something about the pigments in typical white makeup that makes it a little chalky and flaky. I debated about using some clown makeup I had and I kind of wish I went that way instead of body paint and airbrush makeup.

Thursday, April 06, 2017

Oranassi Demon, Demon Headhsots.

The latest in the Demon Headshots series. It took a little longer to get the colour right on this one than I'd planned, it look several layers, a little Pax paint and a touch of airbrushing I managed to get it pretty damned seamless looking. As usual, because I'm a lazy makeup artist, I did have to touch up some very minor spots in post though.

Monday, March 27, 2017

Okchakko Demon, Demon Headshots.

The latest in my Demon Headshots series. I'm realizing now that this is a great series to do during winter, inside, anywhere, night or day, weather doesn't really matter. I might ease off on them during the summer and pick up doing them again next winter, although I do have a few more I want to do this round.

I've occasionally heard that green is not a great colour for makeup, that it's unflattering and whatnot. At first thought I would agree with that,  but the upon actually making a green demon I couldn't disagree with it more. I guess it would depend on the shade of green of course, in the case of the green makeups I have access to I wouldn't say it's unflattering at all.

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

You like sales? You like gluing foam latex to your face? For the month of April there will be several sales and specials at The Monkey Rodeo Etsy store.

Sunday, March 05, 2017

Modri Demon, Demon Headshots.

This is the second of a new series of photo shoots I'm trying out that I'm just calling Demon Headshots. The idea is just as it sounds, a series of pictures of headshots of Demons.It focuses more on the makeup, I get to play around with some simple yet dramatic lighting and the shoots themselves are pretty quick and much easier on the models since they don't have to worry about costumes, full body posing, locations aren't as much of an issue - overall, just easier.

 The only real downside is the pictures can come off a little repetitive, so you don't get a huge variety of final images, but it does allow me to focus on a very specific outcome a little more. Not every shoot I'll be doing from now on will look like this, just every so often.