I had been planning this shoot for some time - sort of. I wanted to an all black demon but didn't really know what I wanted to do as far as prosthetics. For about 6-7 months or more whenever I was running foam to make prosthetics, I'd include a few horns in the batch. Ultimately I turned out a pile of 55 horns - we used 52 for this shoot.
I at least knew ahead of time that painting someone all black might make them little more than a silhouette in bright light from a distance. While the prosthetics certainly would stand out in a long shot, it might also get a little muddy in the details, so I settled on a very simple series of head shots.
I set up a single light and an off camera flash and just made it up as we went, in the end I'm pretty happy with the results. The final results here needed very little post processing work, just a bit of cleanup on the more obvious seams (I don't claim to be a brilliant makeup artist and I'm lazy) and just bumped up the black a bit, otherwise they came right out the camera pretty much looking like they do here.