Friday, July 21, 2017

Lenaka Demon

I haven't done a shoot with a full cowl piece like this in a couple years I think. I've made a couple, but they were really simple, more like bald caps I could stick other pieces on, this one really isn't as versatile as those and done to intentionally create a bit more of a character makeup.

I made it originally for a roadtrip photo shoot I had intended to do but ultimately got cancelled - something which equally disappointed and relieved me. It would have been awesome, but so much work and I just wouldn't have had the time for it.

As if it's not painfully obvious, it was made to look like a cross between Maleficent and a Klingon, and if you look closely at the markings on her face, they're somewhat close to those on Boone from the movie Nightbreed.

The horns are actually hollow, just a latex skin glued into identically shaped sockets on the prosthetic. So I was able to paint it all up, paint the horns and just glue them into the sockets, when it came time for application I just slipped the whole piece onto Julie's head and blended it in. Actually only took about half an hour - would have been less but she was more tanned than the skin tone I used for the prosthetic.

We lost the light, having started so late so I was glad a brought along an off-camera flash. And when it got too dark to even see to focus we moved down the beach to a spot where I could light her with the headlights from my truck. Not perfect, but it did work reasonably well.

No comments:

Post a Comment