Thursday, October 16, 2008

Not much of an update

I realized it'd been some time since I made any updates, so here goes:

There's been some minor progress with some of the CG characters for Malice. I'm hoping to get further in the next month, so far things are looking pretty good. I only have only of the major 5 characters really left to design - god knows how long it'll really take though. I'm hoping I'll find time.

Demon Rum is taking way longer to edit then I'd planned - that part of the project is a bit of a failure. Only in that other work is really getting in the way, I hadn't taken that into account, nor did I realize how difficult it'd be to cut together. It's looking pretty good though, so no worries there.

And here's some odd news. Sort of odd. I'm starting a (sort of) special effects company. Nothing over the top, nothing too out there. I've been thinking for the longest time of getting into sculpting and creating resin casts - for various props I myself use, but offer them for sale as well.

In keeping with that idea and how much makeup work I did on Malice, I've been looking into doing my own prosthetics as well. It's not as hard it might seem, I reckon the really hard part will be creating the actual face to create a prosthetic from. I'm thinking I can do it with some work. I've got some really good ideas that I think will work really well as an online retail business selling prosthetics.

And finally, one step further, I've been looking into silicone mask making. This is fairly new stuff, maybe in the last couple years (I'm not 100% sure on that though, just what I inferred from a few articles) and it combines the visual effectiveness of a foam latex prosthetic with the ease and reuse of a latex pullover mask.

It's kinda hard to really describe, but it'd allow me to create a full head mask that would slip on pretty much any actor (the only difference they say is from male to female, so you'd have to design it specially for one or the other) and once done, you can slip it off again and reuse it over and over. It moves just as well as the glued prosthetics, but takes a fraction of the time to put on.

And it looks a little more realistic as well since it's silicone it has that same translucent look it as flesh. You don't have to worry about the actors hair, or even if they have a beard. I'm pretty sure I can pull this off. It, again, isn't as hard as it seems I don't think. It just takes the time to really to learn it well.

So I'm starting small, working on the resin casting with some small little things. See how that works and move on to a much larger sculpture eventually. As well, I'm getting a kit that will give me everything I need to do my own prosthetics, half of which is reusable so it's a pretty good deal there.

From there I'm going to try my hand at latex mask making, it seems really easy actually compared to everything else. And then if all goes well I hope to have this silicone mask thing down by the time I start into The Monkey Rodeo Project next summer. I could be way off on the time, might take me longer - but it's always been my favorite part of movies, I was fascinated by it as a kid and I guess the timing just seems right to finally really jump into it.

I guess we'll see how things go.

No comments:

Post a Comment