Friday, March 02, 2007

Ugly Little Monster...well, Big Monster actually.

In the midst of working on various part of various projects, I’ve been rushing to get The Monkey Rodeo: Malice back on the go and so far it’s going rather well. I’ve been getting props, equipment and whatnot together, testing this and testing that to see how things are going to work out. Even working on some CG elements that I’ve left alone for some time.

One thing in particular is a weird little demon featured in one of the opening sequences. Like everything else this guy went through a whole pile of redesigns, I thought I’d actually settled on this strange spider-taur like creature, half human, half spider with a face that would split open with this gross looking tube-like thing coming out of it. It looked okay - but the more time I spent on this gross tube thing the better it looked and the crappier the actual demon looked in contrast.

So my only choice was the make the tube thing the actual demon. It’s sort of a Wyrm Demon, at least that’s what I’m calling it. It’s you're basic temporal slug with lots of teeth that exists in extra-dimensional space, popping out now and again to feed. It’s only in 4 shots in the entire movie so it didn’t need to have that much work put into it, still needs a bit of work, but I have to admit I’m really pleased with the result.

It’s a very simple looking thing, but visually it’s kinda gross and would be rather startling to see if it was slithering up behind you on the street. Normally I wouldn't post a picture like this, as it's really one of those things I'd like to keep under wraps until I'm ready to show the final movie, but it's not a major character in the film and hopefully it'll serve to whet folks' appetite for the final product.



This is just a quick render, I’ve done no post work to it, aside from adding a bit of a shine to it. I wanted to test how slimy I could make it look. In a couple days I should have it all set to put into each of it’s shots. On shot in particular is going to be a little tricky, still have yet to put any thought into that one yet.

See, this guy here gets a little frisky and tries to eat someone, only to be decapitated by Malice (also, one of the design needs was to have something with an obvious head of some sort, while this design doesn’t, it does have a huge mouth that will chop off just as well as a head would). I’m not sure how it’ll look in the decapitated state, I have a few little tricks I’m going to be testing out for the first time for this shot. So I’ll be sure to post some info about that when the times comes.

Until then, we should be shooting in a week or so, so make sure to come back and see what’s going on in the exciting world of indie filmmaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment