Saturday, July 10, 2010

Shell Shock Mold

No pictures this time around because I'm keeping this under wraps until we shoot, but I will say this:

No  matter how much research you do, there's always that point in a project that involves something you've never done before, that you just have to do it, get it over with and hope for the best. You either did it right or you did it wrong, you can wait and wait but that won't change, it's either right or wrong.

I sort of hate this Shell Shock material. It's awesome when it works, a little tricky to work with - and that's what makes it hateful. It cures so fast, there's 2 versions, fast (3 mins) and slow (8 mins) and as soon as it's mixed it starts to thicken to a warm peanut butter consistency. It's thick and stringy and you just hope to hell to managed to get enough on your sculpt to make it worth the effort.

It's a mold making material, by the way. A great one, as I said before, when it works. There's no shrinkage or distortions like can happen with other mold materials after they've sat on a shelf for awhile. Once it's cured it's a hard urethane and pretty much nothing sticks to it that you'd be casting into it - at least not that I've encountered so far.

I'm using it to make a mold for a silicone mask. I've used it to make a glove with 90% perfect results. This is for something much bigger and much more costly should it all go pear shaped.

The first coat is curing now, I've got to put another one on in a few minutes and then a backing support material. I'm dreading the end of the day when it's all done and I have to pry this thing apart - I can already see all those shitty little air bubbles in there ruining it. However, since it's a hard shell mold, there's the possibility of reconstructing part in a hard clay should there be any air bubbles - so all isn't entirely lost or wasted.

I guess we'll see in about 6-7 hours when it's all done.

No comments:

Post a Comment