Wednesday, April 08, 2009

All UltraCal-ed Out

Today I did a cast of Draper's face finally. We hope to be doing his chin and his hands tomorrow - the character of Cronus has a lot of prosthetics.

So far so good. As with most things, you get better with experience. I'm starting to learn better how all the different materials act and how to work with them. The alginate is one major component that I think I've gotten the hang of. the UltraCal is still a bit of a work in progress, but it's coming along pretty well I think.

The mold came out pretty good.

Should work just find.

I finally got around to creating the negative mold of Pete's Bofa prosthetic. If you'd seen the images of the original sculpt, you can see there was a lot added around the outside. It's basically to help define the edges of the final prosthetic when you're demolding it. Around that there's some grey clay, I just used that to build up the negative mold.

It's pretty much just a lump here. I won't know for another hour or so if it worked out. I could probably crack it open now, but I figured I'd leave it and make doubly sure it'll work. My problem last time was that the negative mold broke in places at this point, making it useless.

So, I'll find out tomorrow how this bad boy turned out. I might make a test version in that crappy homemade foamed gelatin just to make sure it'll look alright. Let's hope for the best.

1 comment:

  1. Looking good man. I can wait to see my prosthetics when they're all done :D