Sunday, April 04, 2010

Severed Baby Troll Feet

One of the props for Grayson & Gortch are several Severed Baby Troll Feet, not something you can just buy online - at least not that I've ever encountered. So of course I had to make my own. Pretty simple, I just got some armature wire and about 1lb of clay and eventually I had one.

I'm still making the mold, I ran out of silicone just before the model was covered. Silicone will adhere to itself, so I'm hoping that once I get more in that the mold will continue on just fine. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

One of the main issues with the prop was painting it properly afterward. I used some airbrush paint on the fake foam axe and the latex alien brain monster masks and it just didn't hold up to a lot of wear and tear - not that these little buggers will be seeing that much action, but I'd like to make sure I'm doing it properly.

You need a product called PAX paint, which isn't cheap at all. Luckily I recently discovered you can make your own fairly easily with some Pros-Aide (the same adhesive I'm using for prosthetics) and regular old acrylic paint, equal part of each. If you want it for use in an airbrush, just another equal part of water to thin in out - I would assume it's possible you could end up ruining your airbrush if you don't clean it properly afterward.

So that's a huge expense taken care of over the next few projects, since I'll need the stuff for a fake foam hand axe, sledgehammer, rock and maybe some other stuff. Also, these props might actually be available for sale online by June if all goes well.

Speaking of other projects and other stuff in general, casting is pretty much sown up for Grayson & Gortch, location scouting is nearly done as well. I need to do one more pass at the script and I think it'll be done, just in time too since our first shoot is next weekend. I just need to finish up my prosthetics and I'm hoping that will happen next week as well.

As far as Breath of the Dead, it's progressing really well. The script is 99% complete. I'll be doing a pass over that today and then I'd imagine there will be a serious rewrite to tighten it up and shorten it down from the 26 pages it sits at now. I'd like it to be a little less dialog filled and more action/quiet. Easier to shoot.

There were already some minor changes. We unfortunately had to make the choice to remove the breakaway beer bottle in the face gag - too much work, too much money and I was a little uncomfortable since the warnings on the material to create breakaway props was a little severe. I think we've come up with a decent new death idea, pretty cheap but pretty brutal.

I'm hoping to see a little more progress with this in the next 2 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment