Wednesday, August 12, 2009

The Horrible Alien Brain Monster Masks

Took about a week from beginning to end, not working every hour of the day though, to finish the first mask. Don't know how many I'll make, all depends on how far the gallon of latex I have will go.

Anyway, here's a bit of a picture breakdown of the whole process. I'm not going to bother going into detail on how it's done, there's much better info out there then what I could ever give.

The head armature.
Building up the clay took some time.





The final sculpt, suitably 1950's looking I think.
Making the mold. This is the most stressful part of the whole thing,
because if you bugger it up, you just ruined your sculpture.

This is what happens when you pull the mold apart.

The final mold. Not too bad, I had to do some minor patching up on it.
Pouring the latex.
And then out pops this bad boy. It took awhile to properly dry,
I reckon because it was just my first time doing this. I'm pretty happy with it.

And that's it. I just have to paint the sucker now and we'll have our first Alien Brain Monster ready to take over the world. I'm hoping to get to the painting stage soon.

I'll point out now that I get most of my supplies from these guys, Monster Makers. I think I've mentioned them before, but I'll do it again. They're great guys to deal with, you have a question, give them a call and they'll help.

I've got a few more props to make and things to deal with before we just too much into shooting the rest of the 3D movie. Hopefully it'll pick up again next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment